Friday, July 08, 2011

Classroom Jobs

I was reading over at Curls and a Smile about her job board. I believe classroom jobs are essential for a class to run smoothly. I expect students to take responsibility for their job and to do it independently.

I downloaded my jobs board from Fresher Schools website. I loved the theme and thought why reinvent the wheel! The board doesn't have the purple around it - it's just a pic from their website since I don't have a photo of mine.
 It comes with these cute bees which are editable - I just type in the names of my students and print off.
 
The jobs are on hexagonal shapes. I arrange it to look like the honeycomb cells in a beehive. They are also editable so you can add any jobs you like. I use the hook and loop sticky things to stick the names on the cell and each fortnight I just swap over the names. I randomly draw names and assign to the next job on the chart- this way the favourites aren't taken first all the time. The students are really happy with this as they think it is fair. I never have any problems with students not wanting to do a job.
Some of the jobs I have are:
  • Line leader x 2
  • Line ender x 2 (we walk in two lines)
  • Sports Monitor- I have a bag of sports equipment that the monitor signs out to students who want it
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Teacher Helper x2 - helps pass out papers/pick up papers and generally lend a hand
  • Homework Monitor
  • Floor Patrol
  • Librarian 
  • Seating Chart monitor (moves pegs with names down a chart to rotate the favourite seating options for reading)
  • Computer Technician - checks that they are turned on and off, that they are left neat and tidy after use
  • Tuckshop Monitor - takes the tuckshop box and goes and get it at lunch time.
You can download these job labels on the Fresher Schools website here.