Friday, July 08, 2011

The Daily 5

Check out Mrs I's Little Monsters Linky Party on the Daily 5!
I do a version of the Daily 5 in my room. It only differs in parts but it works for me. One of the changes I do is rather than have students (and me) spend time recording what each student is doing for each rotation, I have set it out for them on a bulletin board (sorry no pic... I should really take more pictures!! My resolution for heading back to school next week!). 

We rotate through: 
  • Read with Teacher (guided reading)
  • Write About Reading (I've changed this from Work on Writing)
  • Read to Self
  • Read to Someone
  • Listen to Reading
  • Word Work

We do 3 rounds a day for about 20mins. We have a reflection at the end of the 3
rounds - I'd love to do it more but always run out of time. I see my lowest readers more often than my high flyers and also try to confernece with individuals at least every 2 weeks.

One of the Rounds is Read with the Teacher so I'm not pulling students out of another round. Straight after they read with me (or first round the following day) I have students do Write About Reading to respond to our guided reading text in some way. We have a separate writing workshop time later in the day so they don't miss out on writing. The types of activity they do during Write About Reading depends on the book and the ability of the students - it might be a vocabulary activity, a venn diagram or other graphic organiser, some HOT (higher-order thinking) response etc. The other rounds are the same as the book.

Here's a pic of the CAFE board before school started - looks much different now. Handy Hint: add their names at the BOTTOM of the board, not the top. This allows your kiddos to write their name and add it themselves. I now have our group reading area near this board so we can refer to the strategies while reading. 

You can also see my Read to Someone post here.

1 comment:

  1. I love your bulletin board. I haven't read the CAFE book yet but read the DAILY FIVE last year and tried to incorporate it into my class (with some tweaking). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...